Tuesday, December 21, 2010

What's Missing From MTG Online? The Middle!

A few weeks ago I finally broke down and decided to give MTG Online a try and overall I have to say that I have been pleasantly surprised.  There is something vital missing, though, and I think its inclusion into the game would be a boon to many casual players.
What's missing is an intermediate level playing area.  As of right now you have two choices, the New Player area and the Casual Deck area.  Both are good and serve their purposes well.  The New Player zone is a great place for players new to the digital version to feel out the game system, the rhythm of play and initial deck builds.  It also serves as a place for players new to the game as a whole to learn how to play, what constitutes a good deck, and develop a playing style of their own.


Over in the Play area, whose tab on the lower menu is Casual Decks, a misnomer at best, you have people playing just about every type of deck imaginable in almost every format.  Legacy, Classic, Vintage, Standard, and a truckload more.  While its supposedly casual let me tell you this is definitely Arch Nerd central.  When I'm in the mood to be schooled and learn a thing or two that's where I go, because it sure as hell isn't where I'm looking to spend a lot of time in victory lane.  This is where you find the guys that are either working on tournament decks or just playing with a deck made up of all the shit you don't have and you can't beat.


Now some of us are beyond the beginner stage, but not exactly ready to compete at the next Worlds.  I would say I am an intermediate player.  I build decent decks, have a good grasp of things like mana curve, card advantage and other theories regarding the game, and generally have a little game.  The problem is that sometimes the New Player room is a little stifling since the formats are limited to Standard and the promotional Planeswalker sets, and while I enjoy the challenge of the regular play area, getting my ass handed to me regularly is only entertaining for so long.  My solution?  Add an intermediate area for those of us with advanced skills who are just looking for a good play experience.


That is not currently available in MTG Online, but I think it should be.  I'd like to play my Classic and Legacy decks in a venue where I wasn't facing Mr. I-Have-Four-Copies-of-All-of-The-Power-Nine.  On the other hand I don't necessarily want to beat down a series of newbies over and over.


Now I have no illusions that Wizards of the Coast is likely to make a major programming change in the system to suit my needs.  Often when I am playing I am simply blown away at the sheer programming necessary to make all the disparate cards and formats work and follow the rules to a T.  Still there's no harm in wishing, and who knows, maybe someday they will expand the available play areas.


In the meantime, I'd love to hear some other people's thoughts on the matter.  Is it just me?  Am I just being a girl about the whole thing, or are their other people that feel that frustration of playing in the two extremes with nowhere in the middle?  Leave a comment and let me know.

No comments:

Post a Comment